Followers

Friday 15th June

It's Friday morning and I'm getting my kit together. Clothes, camping gear, charts and GPS, radio and headset, petrol stove, kettle, emergency food. The list seems almost endless. I am hoping it all fits in the back of my Shadow microlight. I'm meeting a German pilot, Thorsten at Plaistows airfield after 1pm then we are off to Sleap near Wem, Salop, for the start and an overnight stop. Camping on the airfield. Watching the weather for later today and the weekend. Finished preparing the aircraft this morning. Arranged to wait for a German pilot, Thorsten, who arrived at about 1pm. I was ready to go by 2.30 and we set out together. Thorsten flies a CT which can fly at about 100mph and at its slowest at about 55. I fly a Shadow which flies at 65 max but is comfortable at about 55! We weren't quite compatible a flying buddies so he went ahead. I arrived at Sleap at 4.35. The approach is through the Shawbury military zone so permission as needed to cross it. That was given at 'Not below 2400 feet. As I was at 4000 on the approach that was no problem. Refuelled ready for the morning and had a hearty meal - steak and ale pie with veg and chips. I couldn't manage the pudding! Now I must pitch tent ready for the rain tomorrow. There are about 28 aircraft here so far with some more expected. Three have already gone on to Stratjaven so as to be ahead of the forecast weather tomorrow.